Monday, April 26, 2010

Classical Music is for Ponces #2

WARNING: The following is of interest to classical music fans only, and maybe not even them.

Unfortunately I couldn’t sing in the amateur concert this month as my throat was wrecked by ‘flu and then by singing the high frigging As in Handel’s Hallelujah Chorus – what bastard gives tenors so many high As?? At least Beethoven had the excuse that he was deaf and couldn't hear the result. And it’s a bit strident, isn’t it? At least in Romania one doesn’t have to stand up. There may be another chance of a concert in the summer; I’ll have added more Schubert to my repertoire by then and right now, what with the garden bursting into life, I’m in a springtime mood!... though of course this won’t be very topical then, will it. First up it's Frühlingsglaube (“Faith In Spring”): an unusually “swoopy” rendition, but I like it, by Norwegian valkyriist Kirsten Flagstad and my homey Gerald Moore; and at the risk of sounding Fotherington-Thomas here* is the text. This year’s will it/won’t it ever get warm has certainly tested our faith in spring to the max, hasn't it. Next we have Im Fruhling ("In Spring") with two of the absolute all-time masters: Messrs. Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau and Sviatoslav Richter:



* The gentle winds are awakened,
They murmur and waft day and night,
They create in every corner.
Oh fresh scent, oh new sound!
Now, poor dear heart, fear not!
Now everything, everything must change.
The world becomes more beautiful with each day,
One does not know what may yet happen,
The blooming doesn't want to end.
The farthest, deepest valley blooms:
Now, poor dear, forget the pain!
Now everything, everything must change.

12 comments:

  1. It's not springlike, but I love this too:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XP5RP6OEJI

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know nothing about classical music but I always enjoy it when I hear it. Sorry to hear about your throat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. zmkc, ah, Der Erlkönig, another great song, and more dramatic that anything I offered.

    Eryl, that's good! I don't have a very extensive knowledge of classical music, but, as my old grandfather used to say, at least I know what I like :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was lovely gadjo, and the words are terrific.

    One piece of classical music I find totally beautiful and that reminds me of spring and mountain meadows is this

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39VtPtm9m18

    ...its not the best version i've heard, but the tune is always heart-soaring

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gershwin said he'd have given anything to have written just one of Schubert's songs, and it's clear why. Thanks for the clip, ans I recommend wirewool and dettol for the throat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. worm, glad you like it. That piece you referenced was lovely too - I didn't know it, kind of Vaughan-Williamsy.

    Boyo, did Gershwin say that? He was an incredible bloke, with what he achieved and understood about jazz as a first generation immigrant. The throat is feeling the benefit of ţuică poultices, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. More of an Anthony Rolfe Johnson fan myself, but Dietrich will do in an emergency.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LaciRossetti199, (is that your real name??), "sexy diamond sex" sounds beyond my budjet, I suggest you spam somebody else :-)

    Madame, I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Anthony Rolfe Johnson's recordings, I must rectify this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Handel gave his tenors so many top As because in his day A was 415 rather than 440. Anyone wondering why authentic pitch is a good idea has clearly never had to sing tenor. And if you think Handel's bad, try the Bach motets.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gyppooooooooooo!!!!!! Ah, I didn't know that, that explains a lot. I did try a Bach motet once but decided to go banging my head against a wall instead (no disrespect meant to J. S., obviously...)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wonder at how pensive these spring tributes are. Though I guess I get a bit pensive myself in noticing how quickly the tender freshness of the season degrades into spent dandelions and the first mosquitoes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary Ellen, nice to have you back here again. I think the secret is not to look at the big picture - eventual death and decay - but to 'kiss the joy as it flies' :-)

    ReplyDelete